Monday, March 19, 2007

Memphis Anti-War Protest


As you all know, I had to change plans this past weekend and go to Memphis instead of D.C. I was disappointed by this turn of events. However, Friday I was listening to Air America and heard about a local protest that was planned for March 17th. So, I attended that one instead.


Midsouthpeace Protest

This was my first protest and it was relatively small. I would estimate around 200 people attended. It was a little different than I expected. The group that organized it is a religious group and there were several leaders of local churches that attended and spoke. From their website, "The Mid-South Peace and Justice Center is an interfaith, inter-racial organization dedicated to education and advocacy for local and global peace and justice issues."

All in all, it was a great experience. I was a little worried about Marching down Beale Street during a pretty large St. Patrick's day celebration. However, everything turned out fine. We had a lot more cheers and thumbs ups than we had jeers. Actually, I only witnessed two people that had a problem with it. We also received a lot of honks of support from passing cars. I am looking forward to doing it again.

Also, if you are interested, pics and vids from other protests as I come across them:

March on the Pentagon
Protest in Austin