Thursday, March 20, 2008

Defending Hillary...kinda

I have this neighbor who is always coming over here trying to convert my husband and I. She leaves behind her ridiculous tracts that say things like "atheists(communists) are oppressing Christians." We usually politely decline the tracts and she explains that if we just read them, we will "know the truth." They end up being left at my house anyway and then are taken straight to the trash. However, we tolerate her to an extent because she is in her eighties.

However, the other day she came over to give us some tracts and she asked if we had been following politics (after she had earlier proclaimed that Bush is a fine president). We explained that we had. She said that she pays attention to politics and then said that she had heard that "Clinton's wife" was "running for governor or something." Then we informed her that she was in fact running for President. And that is when she exceeded my toleration level because the next thing out of her mouth was that she didn't agree with a woman being president because women are supposed to be a man's "helpmate" and that woman can't have authority over men because her precious book and church told her so. So, I told her that hell yeah a woman could be president and that women are just as capable as men. Then I told her to get out of my house.

I have tolerated her berating me for being an atheist. My husband and I tolerated her even though she said that science had ruined my husband and that he needed to find Jesus and rid himself of the evil science. I have tolerated her showering us with tracts from a creationist think tank. But, I will not tolerate her saying that I am a second class citizen because I happened to be born with a vagina!

(Btw, I still have no desire to ever vote for Hillary. But, it is not because her nether regions.)