Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Illogic

An unfortunately common conversation at the University of South Carolina:

Random Guy: "We have to do everything we can to protect Israel because the Bible says..."

My husband: "Yes, we should base all of our foreign policy on a book of mythology."

Random Guy: [visibly shocked] "You don't believe in the Bible?!?!"

My husband: No.

Random Guy: "I see you are wearing a wedding ring. You should get divorced. Marriage is a Christian construct and if you do not believe in the Bible, then you shouldn't get married." [Blah, blah, blah, more religious nonsense, etc...]

My husband: "You think Christians are the only people in the world who get married?"

Random guy: [obviously puzzled because the concept of marriage across all cultures and religions had never crossed his mind] "I don't want to talk about this anymore, I don't want to get in a shouting match."

[End Conversation]