Monday, December 11, 2006

Birthday and Christmas

Tomorrow I turn 25. I always have a bittersweet birthday because it is always overshadowed by the grand spectacle of a marketing holiday called Christmas. Not so much this year though. No, this year I spend Christmas alone. My husband is flying out to see relatives that he has not seen in years and we cannot afford to both go. So, in a way, my birthday should be the larger event. However, my husband is in the middle of finals and will not really have the time to do much more than say happy birthday. But, those special days are only so in name. This year I will be celebrating the week between my birthday and Christmas. I will be celebrating one of those few times that he and I can be together without any hullabaloo. A relaxing week of just the two of us enjoying one anothers company. That is better than any holiday.

Note: This is intended to be more of a political commentary blog and I do not plan on posting many personal stories like this one with any frequency.