Thursday, December 14, 2006

New UN Leader

I flipped to CSPAN today and there was a Q&A with the new UN Secretary General, Ban Ki-Moon. I wanted to know what to expect from the new leadership, so I decided to watch it. I have to say that I am a little wary of this guy. Ban Ki-Moon was asked by a CNN reporter from New York what his thoughts were on the Kofi Annan parting comments rebuking the US for it's human rights violations. Ban responded that he doesn't necessarily agree with Annan and he thinks the US has done a lot to spread peace in the world. I just want to know what world Ban has been living in. To say that in the past few years that the US has spread peace is dilusional at best. The world is less peaceful on a whole than it has been in decades. Where do they find these people? I am guessing he was handpicked by the US. If the new UN Secretary General is beholden to the US, will there be any opposition voice the next time we decide to preempively wage war on a country? (think Iran)

And, about all the peace we have been spreading...